today or any other day

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Even the smallest seed can sprout and grow...


I got a letter this week from a girl that I used to work with at my old job. I was so excited when I saw the letter. When I left a year ago I didn't get to say goodbye to her because she was having a really difficult time and was hospitalized after multiple suicide attempts (she has occupied my thoughts often). My heart really went out to this girl, wondering if she was?, and if she was... where she was? It was nice to get the letter and not only know that she is alive, but know that she is somewhere safe where she can get the help that she needs. This particular girl was the inspiration behind my grad application topic of kids falling through the cracks of the system. It is crazy at what all can happen in one year! It just gave me greater hope that even the smallest seed planted can sprout and grow! It is one of the greatest rewards of this line of work; to know you truly made a difference in someone else's life. My intership is about to get quite a bit busier... I know that I have been somewhat coasting through this semester at my internship, and time was over due to step it up a knotch, but I more than doubled my case load today! (goodbye endless free time over winter break!) I am taking over a couple cases from the crazy counselor (who is leaving!) and then I got a new referral today bringing my total to 5! I know it will be a challenge, but I think it will ultimately create a richer learning experience for me. Time will tell all I suppose...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home