today or any other day

Wednesday, March 08, 2006


My choice of vocation is interesting to say the least! I do home based service with families, which makes situations highly unpredictable. Tonight was probably the first time that I really felt vulnerable... It is interesting how in tune our bodies are to conflict! When I walked in the door I knew by my reception that something was going on... you just get that gut feeling, ya know. I find cultural family dynamics to be facinating. One of the professors that I absolutly love said that any family under enough stress will appear dysfunctional...that is so true! I walked into a pretty intense power struggle in this family, and it was all I could do to just keep everyone from shutting down or exploding at eachother... I think I was somewhat helpful/supportive, but I also wonder if I just fueled the fire? The mom actually asked me to leave, and asked to see me tomorrow...it sucked because I knew the mom was embarrased that her kids were acting out,and she didn't have control of them I just got the feeling that I just stirred the pot and walked away! It just takes a lot out of you when you are trying to mediate in a highly emotional situation like that, and there is a certain amount of second guessing that happens afterward... did I do or say the right thing, what could I have done differently? I guess that is where the real learning happens?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home