today or any other day

Thursday, March 09, 2006

I am not defined by my labels...

I had a really interesting conversation with my practicum supervisor today. She asked me how things were going in the office. I could tell that she was asking for a specific purpose, and it took me a second to understand what she was getting at. She started out by saying how the dynamic of the office has changed over the last few months and the majority of the workers had a similar experience and upbringing...it hit me oh duh!.. the majority of the office were raised in the religion that I affiliate with, but for a myriad of reasons are no longer members. When I understood what she was talking about, it reminded me of a situation the other day I had with a person that works in the office next to ours. I was talking to her about her visiting an agency that I worked at in Pocatello, and she mentioned the program director. I said oh she is really great, and then this woman asked me a really strange question... she said what "culture" is she affiliated with? I asked her what she meant, and she said oh you know "culture". I said well I do know her husband is from a different ethnicity, is that what you mean? She said you know the culture that your from...I was like huh? and then said well she is not affiliated the such and such religion if that is what you mean? She then shook indicating that that is what she was getting at, and made some kind of comment that when she met her she wasn't sure at what kind of resource this woman be for her agency, because she didn't know what kind of services would be advocated. It was weird cause at that point I got a strong sense for the first time with this woman that I was the "other". Through my conversation with my supervisor I had an opportunity to explain what it felt like for me to experience someone making assumptions about knowing my "culture" based on my religious affiliation. I told her that it is pretty irritating for people to define me and make assumptions about me based on my labels...it is sort of explained by the saying that goes something like the worth of the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts? My supervisor had said that someone had brought to her attention that the situation and cohesive nature of the office, could make it difficult for someone who didn't feel a part of the group. It was interesting that I had not thought of that before. I guess labels don't effect me like they do others... to me it is just me and three other PEOPLE in our office. Sure I was aware that one of these things is not like the others (ME) but I didn't feel like that really impacted our relationships? We talked in great detail the importance in our profession to be very careful about making assumptions about people based on the limited information that we have, and the importance of understanding individuals, not stereo types. My supervisor said that I was in a very good position to help teach some of the people I work by articulating with them what I had talked to my supervisor about when the opportunity presented itself (If I wanted to) Maybe who knows? Well that is enough out of me tonight...on to study land!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home