today or any other day

Sunday, September 17, 2006

non denominational...wha?!

At work we had an unveiling of a Del Parsons painting he did for the girls spiritual living center. Because Del himself could not make it he asked some friends of his to speak instead. These individuals that were asked to speak just so happen to hold high callings in a particular church youth leadership. I sat next to a co-worker, and a few times almost completely lost it because you could tell the speaker was thinking as he went on how to phrase things in such a way in order to remain non-denominational. It was obvious what the individual would have said if the audience were different, and at times I think he forgot that it was! The crowning event of the speech was a video clip the man showed that was produced by this particular church which featured the presidents and leadership addressing the youth of their church. I almost completely burst into laughter when it began talking about the importance of certain ordinances which were essential for eternal families, not because of the content ,but because of the audience! I just sat there and thought of the damage control that I would have to provide because I had families in the audience that DEFINATELY were not a part of this particuar religious faith, and would not be overly excited that a good portion of the video addressed them as such. I was thankful that I was sitting in the back out of sight from most of my clients ,because I was having a really hard time keeping my composure...and my co-worker was not exactly helping! When he pulled out pamphlets which addressed youth of this particular religion concerning standards which they should live by and offered them to the audience I almost had to step out because my co-worker and I were trying so hard to fight off the laughter... (I just knew that if I did burst out into audible laughter that I would have turned heads!) I hadn't had a chance to talk much to the co-worker that was sitting next to me before, (except when I talked to him about one of my clients writing him that he "rocked her freaking uniform")and I had a good time chatting with him... but we were kinda a bad combination for keeping reverent during the devotional!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home