today or any other day

Sunday, June 18, 2006

The long ride home...


I decided that on my way back from Salt Lake that I would drive up the mountain to the infamous "make out" point that I had yet to go to. Sometimes I get the urge to just drive... sometimes I drive to discover, and sometimes I feel like driving to just keep driving. There is something peaceful about driving without a particular destination in mind (that was limited by a pretty much empty gas tank tonight... so I kind of had to go straight up one side and down the other to avoid running out of gas, but I made it with a whole .2 gallons of gas to spare!) There was an amazing view on both sides of the mountain. On the way up you could look out over the whole salt lake valley, and on the way down there was a beatiful view of utah lake. The lighting was beautiful shining over the mountain as the sun was setting behind some clouds. That drive put me in a reflective mood, and when I got home and was sitting in my apartment I got a little stir crazy like I needed to go somewhere. I decided to sit on the balcony and look out at the lights of the city and the cars on the interstate, and I got the same kind of feeling that I would when I would sit on the back of the boat as we were cruising down the columbia river. It is a sense of longing for something outside yourself that you can't quite put your finger on, but it is so powerful that it almost takes your breath away. Sometimes if you sit there long enough focusing on the lights as they go by it numbs the longing, and it allows you for a moment to just be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home