today or any other day

Monday, October 03, 2005

surviving the witch hunt...


I was in my class tonight and we had a speaker from a professional organization for a particular occupation. The beginning of the presentation was about political action as a necessity of fulfilling ethical obligations to the profession. Basically he was saying that professional ethics and codes of conduct supersede that of religious codes and conducts... there in was the beginning! The presentation during the question and answer session took a turn down hill in which the presenter was singling out a particular religion and it's beliefs for scrutinization... I just happened to belong to that particular religion! I felt my face get hot as he was throwing out practices with such disdain, he was trying to place logic to behavior without the background of knowledge necessary for understanding. He made a comment that I just couldn't swallow... He said that it is necessary to base legislation solely on evidence based research...(that is NOT possible when you are dealing with religious beliefs at all it is scientology vs religion!) I was impressed that individuals that were not part of my particular faith were able to recognize the biases that the speaker was presenting during his presentation, because all involved recognized the anti-religious soap box that this individual was towering so high upon! It was an over-all interesting experience and helped me to reflect on where my priorities really lie!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home