today or any other day

Sunday, April 02, 2006

"what we call human nature in actuality is human habit"-Jewel?

"Moving at the speed of life, we are bound to collide with each other." And we do. Sometimes our collisions bring out the best in us. Sometimes they bring out the worst. Either way, they shake us, they slap us in the face, and they wake us up to the reality that our world is much bigger than just ourselves and our lives."(-Crash) It has been an interesting weekend. I have been packing up things and sorting through the mess of my cluttered existence, but I am currently where I was a week ago...or am I? Through circumstances out of my control I was not able to move into my friends like I had planned, but really is there any circumstance that we are ever fully in control over? I was originally annoyed at the set back, but I am beginning to see the benefit, and reconsidering my previous impulsive decision to just pack my things and go. I had another intervention today(which was precisely what I was attempting to avoid by leaving!)the mood today however was different... instead of trying to fix/blame, I felt as they were trying to understand...It is interesting the insight that one can gain from trying to explain the intentions of one's behavior out loud, and amazing that one can perpetuate the very thing that they are trying to avoid by trying to avoid it! weird how that works!) Ah the irrationality of defense mechanisms! weirder still is that human habit would suggest that the cure to feeling alone is to intentionally shut yourself off from those who could potentially be close to you so that they cannot not be close to you...wow writing that down exposes how rediculous that is! So then the question remains: How well does isolation cure the feelings of feeling isolated???
isolation=
n 1: a state of separation between persons or groups 2: the act of isolating something; setting something apart from others [syn: closing off] 3: a feeling of being disliked and alone 4: preference for seclusion or isolation [syn: reclusiveness] 5: (psychiatry) a defense mechanism in which memory of an unacceptable act or impulse is separated from the emotion originally associated with it

1 Comments:

  • isolation is so lame and so common. it seems to be a very strong pattern in my life.
    btw, thank you very the present, it really did brighten my day.

    By Blogger Andrew, at 9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home