today or any other day

Saturday, April 08, 2006

reminiscing down memory lane...

My grandpa took the family out to dinner tonight, and we went to dinner where we always go when my grandpa is in town (Chuck-A-Rama) Even though I live back in town I find myself avoiding that place because conversations tend to be on the awkward side. There has been a lot that has happened in my life since I worked there, yet walking through those doors I see a few familiar faces who still remain (almost as if caught in time). It is not that I don't enjoy seeing those people that I used to work with, but how exactly do you summarize six years in a two minute conversation? It is hard to explain but sometimes talking to them makes me feel guilty, because I got out, and they are still there doing what they were doing six years ago. Sometimes I get the sense that "they think" that "I think" I am better then them because I have moved on and that makes me sad. I ran into an old manager who was telling me about a girl who used to work there getting married. I gave him my number to pass on so this girl could get in touch with me, but honestly I don't know if I would go to her wedding even if she did manage to track me down? I was talking to a girl who is the sister of a guy that I worked with back then and she was telling he was stationed in germany in the military, but that he has been home for a couple weeks before he goes back. I told her to say hello for me, but about twenty minutes later he came in to eat with his parents and his little boy, so I got to say hello in person! Last time I was talking to someone about how he was doing they told me he was having a rough go in life, and that his wife had cheated on him, and left him. It was hard to talk to him, and not think about that. He told me that he was living in germany now... I looked at his son, and I couldn't help but wonder where he lived? I don't know if his ex-wife has custody of his son, or if he is living with his parents... but it made my heart ache seeing him hold his beautiful son in his arms. Conversation was a little awkward, cause I knew things he did not "know" I knew, and the only thing I could think to say was what a beautiful son he had. He ended up sitting in a table across the room from ours, and I found myself stealing glances of him playing and interacting with his son. I don't know exactly what it is, but recently I have come to appreciate the beauty and splendor of watching a young father interacting with his child. It is difficult to explain, but lately I find it captivating elliciting such a strong emotional reaction in me. I don't think there is anything more endearing than watching a father play and dote on his child....just one of lifes simple and beautiful pleasures :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home